These pots, or ones that look like it, are available for sale, ranging from $30 to $100. I hand polish them myself to a nice smooth finish with a cement grinder that reveals the pattern of the aggregate, and for the amount of labor I put in them, I really can’t afford to have you buy them, but hey: my house can only accommodate so many of them so I have to somehow get rid of them. I do not have a store set up but leave a message or email me and I’m sure we can figure out something.
Anyway, check out my latest project:[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]
It all starts with a unit.
And then, there were two.
Any builder worth his salt will need stacking pieces.
And so now, we start composing shapes.
Playing with possibilities.
Since they have holes, you can put stuff in them.
You can make many combinations with just a few pieces.
The Buy Some
Why should I be the only one able to have fun around here? I know you can wait to get your paws on a few of these bad boys.
Well, lucky for you, a couple of local stores have agreed to spread the joy of succulent care and cool home made cement pots to our eager community and are making them available for purchase.
In Los Feliz:
On Abbott Kinney:
On the web at Etsy:
Act now! Supplies are limited! Since they’re a pain in the ass to make and I’ll be working super long weeks all summer at my other job, I won’t be cranking out many of these. It actually gives you the opportunity to be the only one on your block with one. Think of how envious your friends and neighbors will be when they find out there are no more left to buy!!![/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]
The Making Of
I built the main pot shapes out of 1×3 oak lumber cut and glued together to make the shape.
Next, I built a box around the master shape
Here is the original shape and the mold.
There it is. It’s that simple…
Or is it? In fact, I learned quite a few things through the many mistakes I made along the way. First, the mold I document here actually has a major flaw in that it creates a visible seam along the main face of the pot. I ended up having to take a new approach and pour a new mold that had its seam located just around the bottom edge of the pot. Figuring out how to build the box and the process to take to get the two rubber pieces to come out the way they did involved a lot of visualizing 3 dimensional positive and negative shapes. Also, I made the box out of melamine which was yet another mistake because it has sucked up moisture and gotten warped. I think I will make a mother mold out of plaster for these at some point. Also, it can be pretty hard to get the cast out of the mold, specially the big rubber squares that end up shaping the holes. I need to find a way to make it easier, and while I’m at it, to make it so I can pour 10 pots at once rather than just one.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]